Photo Credit: Flickr user stella-mia
I recently read Prevention’s article “A Perfect Day of Apps,” which was devoted to reviewing several smartphone apps designed to boost health. I’m constantly fascinated by the ways that I can turn my phone into a little wellness device.
The five apps they selected dealt with a variety of wellness components: exercise, diet, caffeine, time of the month, and sleep:
Endomondo, the exercise app, does a great job of utilizing the ability of your phone to actively track your workouts: It uses GPS to determine everything from miles to calories.
MyFitnessPal focuses on a quantitative analysis of diet: It’s a virtual calorie diary.
Caffeine Tracker helps to ensure that your caffeine intake doesn’t interfere with your sleep.
My Days helps you track periods and monitor fertility.
Finally, Relax and Sleep doesn’t try to track your sleep: It tries to improve it, by offering white noise and other sounds to drift off to sleep to.
All of these apps are pretty cool on their own and somewhat necessary. But I’m intrigued as to how these apps can be combined (and combined with urWell!) to optimize the wellness experience.
- It’s all connected. Exercise is valid not only for it’s own sake but also for its effects on overallI propose using an app like Endomondo to track your workouts and then using urWell to see how those workouts affect your overall wellness and adjust accordingly.
- Numbers don’t answer all our questions. Calories don’t paint the whole picture: urWell helps you find out more. What kinds of foods are you eating and how do they make you feel? Do those foods give you the energy to complete your workouts or leave you feeling drained?
- One size does NOT fit all. Caffeine doesn’t affect everyone theTrack how caffeine actually makes you feel day-to-day with urWell to see if there are trends that make you want to adjust your intake one way or another.
- What goes around, comes around. My Days is a great way of tracking your cycle… I think it could be awesome to use this combined with urWell to see what part of your cycle you feel the best… and which days you should start the morning with your good friend Midol.
- Be goal-oriented. Use Relax and Sleep to help you meet your sleep goals. A great way to determine your essential sleep goals is to track how sleep affects your overall wellness via urWell!